Athletes routinely wear helmets and other protective gear, but often, they neglect protection for their eyes. More than 90% of eye injuries during sports can be avoided with the right precautions and protective gear. And it can be easy to get the protection you need.
The Campbell Cunningham Laser Center has been helping East Tennesseans care for their eyes and improve their vision through procedures such as LASIK for many years. We are active advocates for eye protection and eye safety. If you’re into sports, take precautions. Here are some things to consider:
- Ninety percent of sports-related eye injuries can be prevented by wearing protective eyewear. Here are some tips to remember:
- Choose protective eyewear when possible. Protective gear may include goggles or face shields, depending on the sport.
- Eyewear should be made from polycarbonate, which won’t shatter. It should meet ASTM F803 standards.
- It’s possible to get protective eyewear with prescription lenses
- You can also get protective eyewear with anti-fog coatings or venting
- Sunglasses or eyeglasses do not provide adequate protection
If you’d like to know more, contact us at the Campbell Cunningham Laser Center and we’ll be happy to answer your questions about protecting your eyes. We’ll also be happy to answer any questions you may have about how procedures like LASIK can be used to improve your eyesight for sports, so you don’t have to worry about glasses or contact lenses.