Even if you decide that LASIK would be a beneficial treatment for correcting your vision, and even if you’re a suitable candidate to undergo the procedure, there are still more factors you need to consider before making a full commitment to the LASIK process. After all, the decision to have a surgical procedure performed on your eyes is a big one – one that shouldn’t be made lightly or hurriedly.
You still need to do your due diligence when selecting the laser center and the surgeon who will ultimately perform your LASIK procedure. There are multiple factors to consider and questions to ask when choosing both, so try to find the team that best meets those criteria. Here are a few questions you might ask in vetting a laser center:
- Patient satisfaction – What is the success rate of the center? While you want to select a surgeon with a low rate of complications, be wary of any surgeon who advertises a 100-percent success rate and is unable to back up his claims with objective data.
- Cleanliness – Does the facility appear to be clean, tidy and hygienic?
- Technology – Does the laser center utilize the latest advanced technology? Do they perform bladeless LASIK or do they use microkeratome blades?
- Convenience – Is the surgeon a local doctor who will oversee every step of the procedure and be available if you need immediate attention?
- Friendliness of Staff – Whether you’re interacting with the receptionist or interviewing the surgeon, do they listen to your concerns and answer your questions directly? You need to feel comfortable working with the laser center staff, so trust your gut instinct.
- Financing Options – Does the center offer a payment plan that works with your current financial situation?
- Physician Availability – Does the center have board-certified ophthalmologists that are local? Are they available for all of our follow-up visits? Do they practice in your area?
The first step toward your goal of LASIK vision correction is to call and get to know the centers that are most convenient to you. For Campbell Cunningham Laser Center, call (865) 588-3937 and ask for a tour of the facility and a free consultation.