The Fourth of July is a wonderful weekend for us all. At the Campbell Cunningham Laser Center, we would like to wish you a happy and safe Independence Day weekend. Fireworks are a large part of the festivities and part of American culture. Drs. Philip Campbell and Les Cunningham urge you to practice safety and concern for all those in the area if you choose to view or use fireworks. Always wear eye protection if you are near active fireworks.
Here are a few safety precautions as outlined by the American Academy of Ophthalmology (source: https://www.aao.org/newsroom/release/20110628.cfm):
- Never let children play with fireworks of any type.
- View fireworks from a safe distance: at least 500 feet away, or up to a quarter of a mile for best viewing.
- Respect safety barriers set up to allow pyrotechnicians to do their jobs safely.
- Leave the lighting of fireworks to trained professionals.
- Follow directives given by event ushers or public safety personnel.
- If you find unexploded fireworks remains, do not touch them. Immediately contact your local fire or police departments.
- If you get an eye injury from fireworks, seek medical help immediately.
Again, have a fun Fourth of July weekend and keep safe!